The oldest testimony of human life in the area of today’s Piatra-Olt dates back to the Neolith. The remains of the Acidava fortress which have been preserved show the local population, from the tribe of the Dacians, had traditions in construction.
In the 1st century BC, the Piatra-Olt area became part of the Roman Empire. It has been found out that the Romans reconstructed the Acidava fortress.
The first written proofs of the villages forming today’s Piatra-Olt are from the Middle Ages. The town is made up of several villages.
The first one, Bistrița Nouă, was first mentioned in 1835. It was named after the Bistrița Monastery, owner of the land on which the village emerged. The village was also known as Fleștenoagele or Fleșcinogele at various points in time.
The second village, Criva, also known as Criva de Jos, was set up on 26th May 1630 as part of the estate of a local aristocrat.
The third one, Enosești (Ienușești, Ienoșești) was officially formed on 31st March 1864 as an independent community. The first mention of this settlement goes back to 1814.
The fourth location is Piatra, which gave its name to today’s town. It was first mentioned on 14th April 1529 on occasion of an eminent aristocrat’s death. On 15th May 1592, Ștefan Surdu voievod, Wallachia’s ruler at the time, confirmed Piatra and a few surrounding villages were the property of local aristocrat jupânița Neacsa si fiului ei Mihail. Historic sources also feature the names of Piatra de Jos and Piatra de Sus.
Piatra-Olt was officially granted town status in 1989.
Today Piatra-Olt is part of the Olt region in the South-West of Romania, with Slatina as administrative centre.